Beginning in mid-January, the Hall County Tax Commissioner’s Office will be limited to answering questions and providing assistance with document preparation due to a system upgrade. The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) DRIVES (Driver Record and Integrated Vehicle Enterprise System) is upgrading to a new version of the system used by the local tag offices to register and title vehicles. This GA DOR upgrade will bring the latest technology advances and will ensure we have access to the most recent enhancements and features of the software. Implementation will require vehicle registration, titling services, online services and tag renewal kiosks to be unavailable from Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021 through Monday, Jan. 18, 2021. Customers who use the tag offices can beat the upcoming January delays by handling their transactions prior to mid-January. (Pictured: Hall County Tax Commissioner Darla Eden)
What should you do now?
- Vehicle owners – personal and business – with renewal dates in January are encouraged to do so as soon as possible and prior to Jan. 13 to avoid delays.
What happens on Tuesday, January 12, 2021?
- Our local offices and state Motor Vehicle Division offices will not be able to process transactions.
- All online motor vehicle related services, including tag renewal, will be offline through Jan. 19, 2021.
- The motor vehicle self-service kiosks in Kroger will be offline through Jan. 19, 2021.
How will this affect Hall County customers and drivers?
- January 19 – 29, customers should expect delays and longer-than-normal wait times. Avoid office visits on Mondays and Fridays as well as lunch times to minimize wait time.
- We strongly encourage customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title and tag transactions to complete their business at our offices prior to Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021.
- Dealers will be able to initiate electronic title and registration (ETR) transactions and issue temporary operating permits (TOPs) over MLK Day weekend.
- Law enforcement will still have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
Property tax transactions handled at the Hall County Tax Commissioner’s Office in the Hall County Government Center will not be affected by this upgrade. Staff will be available weekdays from 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to assist walk-in traffic with questions and document preparation. Please visit our county tag website at hallcountytax.org for more information on upcoming scheduling changes.