There are no known less toxic alternatives. There are ways, however, to minimize the use of and the hazards associated with transmission fluid. These include:
- Keeping the vehicle properly maintained
- Watching for and repairing any leaks
- Avoiding spills while pouring or draining
- Buying only as much transmission fluid as needed
- Storing any unused transmission fluid in tightly capped containers so as to prevent it from Being spilled or contaminated with other materials
- Purchasing, if possible,recycled transmission fluid
Recycling & Reusing Options
Transmission fluid is recyclable. To recycle transmission fluid, place it in a clean, leak-proof container and recycle at any Hall County compactor site or at the Hall County Recycling Center. It is recycled with used oil.
Recycle transmission fluid if possible. Transmission fluid should not be poured down drains (inside or outside), in the storm sewer, or on the ground. This may cause groundwater contamination and/or operational problems with the septic system or wastewater treatment plant.