Make Your Own Ready Kit...
Make a Ready kit with the items on the checklist. Most of the items are inexpensive and easy to find. Plus any one of them could save your life. Download a printable version to take with you to the store.
- Water. One gallon per person per day, for at least 3 days, for drinking and sanitation.
- Food. At least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food.
- Can opener. For food, if kit contains canned food.
- Radio. Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries for both.
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- First aid kit.
- Whistle. To signal for help.
- Face mask. To help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place.
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties. For personal sanitation.
- Wrench or pliers. To turn off utilities.
- Local maps.
- Prescription medications and glasses.
- Infant formula and diapers.
- Pet food, extra water, pet supplies, toys and vaccination forms. More information can be found here.
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Cash or travelerís checks and change.
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from Ready America.
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider adding bedding in cold weather.
- Complete change of clothing. Include a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider adding clothing in cold weather.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Matches in a waterproof container.
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items.
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, plastic utensils, paper towels.
- Paper and pencil.
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children.