County Homepage

 • Board of Commissioners
 • Officials' Photos & Bios
 • Annual Report/Calendar
 • News Room & Media

 • Courts / Judicial
 • Development Services
 • Elections / Voting
 • Emer. Mgmt. Agency
 • Fire Services & EMS
 • Public Safety
 • Sheriff's Office
 • Tax Assessor
 • Tax Commissioner
 • Full Department List

 • County Agencies
 • County Ordinances
 • Gainesville-Hall MPO
 • READY Hall County
 • State Legislators

 • Employment [11 openings]

 • Our Community
 • History of Hall
 • Schools / Education
 • Parks & Leisure
 • Library System
 • Public Transportation
 • Road Construction
 • Recycling & Environment
 • Links & Resources
 • New Resident Info

 • Economic Development
 • Bids & Proposals [12 bids]
 • Business Recycling

Hall County Tax Commissioner
Motor Vehicle Information

 Office Hours & Location
 Motor Vehicle
 Property Tax
 Check/Pay Property Tax
 Forms Library
 Customer Service Feedback Form

Motor Vehicle Tax Reform Information
Q&A - New Georgia Title Ad Valorem Tax (PDF)
Title Ad Valorem Tax Calculator
Trade-In Value for Leased Vehicles (PDF)
Vehicles Donated to 501(c)(3) Non-Profits (PDF)

Motor Vehicle Tag & Title Information

This section contains registration information for vehicles that are transferred from another Georgia County into Hall, transferring from another state into Georgia, vehicles purchased from a dealer and vehicles purchased from an individual.

Renewal Information

If you were a resident of Hall County last year and renewed your tag in Hall County last year then you should have received a bill in the mail. If not then call us at 770-531-6950

If you received your bill in the mail, fill out the requested information and mail the requested amount in the return envelope.

 Renew Your Vehicle Registration Online

Disabled Persons

Placards: To obtain a disabled person's placard the disability may be either temporary or permanent. You will need a current MV-9D that has been completed and notarized by a Georgia licensed healthcare professional. They must designate on the MV-9D whether the disability is permanent or temporary. You will also need a current Georgia Driver's license or ID. If someone is coming in for you, please make sure they have a copy of your ID with them.

Temporary permits are issued for no more than 180 days. To renew a temporary placard, a newly completed MV-9D must be submitted.

To renew a permanent placard, bring the old placard along with your current Driver's license or ID in to our office. You do not need a new MV-9D if the disability is permanent.

Plates: To obtain a disabled persons plate the disability must be permanent. You will need a current MV-9D that has been completed and notarized by a Georgia licensed healthcare professional. They must designate on the MV-9D that the disability is permanent. The disabled person's plate can only be issued to a vehicle that the disabled person owns, is a spouse of the vehicle owner, is a child of the vehicle owner, or is a ward of the vehicle owner.

 Disabled Persons Parking Affidavit Form MV-9D (PDF)

Voluntary Registration Cancellation

You may cancel your vehicle registration at any time. However, it is advised that you cancel your registration before you cancel your insurance policy. Your vehicle's ad valorem taxes must be current, and there must not be any outstanding insurance lapse or suspension fees.

 Voluntary Registration Cancellation Form (PDF)

Complete the above form and deliver, fax or email to our offices.

Special Tags

For information and to see a sample of what is available for special tags go here.

 Personal Prestige License Plate Application (PDF)
 Special Veteran/Military License Plate (PDF)

Vehicle Registration Information

All title/registration transactions require a current Georgia driver's license reflecting your address in Hall County.

If your driver's license has POB, then you must bring in a current utility bill from your address in Hall County.

New Purchases

From a dealer: Most Georgia dealers will apply for a title in your name within 3-4 weeks of purchase and will send you confirmation of this. No one can register a car in the state of Georgia without a title applied for at the time of registration or a dealer/lien holder applying for a title. Other items you will need are:

From an individual: If you purchase a vehicle from an individual or business (other than a dealer) in a casual/private sale you are required to apply for the Georgia title and registration within seven business days of your purchase date.

 Bill of Sale for Private Sales (PDF)

You are required to title all 1986 and newer vehicles prior to registration. All owners need to be present with valid identification and acceptable proof of insurance.

Moving to Hall County from another State?

You will need to visit the Office of the Hall County Tax Commissioner and bring the following:

  • Your Title (all owners must be present to sign the application for title)
  • A valid GA driver's license/ID reflecting your current Hall County Address
  • Proof of GA Insurance

If you are making payments and do not have your title, contact your lienholder to request a copy of the title faxed to this office at 770-531-7111. In the case of an electronic lien, ask your lienholder to fax a print screen (this will give the office the information needed to apply for a title and register your vehicle).

If you are leasing, notify your leasing company of your move and request that they send you a copy of the title and an original power of attorney to allow you to title and register the vehicle in Georgia.

*Payment of title ad valorem tax (TAVT) is required on most title transactions. See the Hall County Tax Commissioner website for information on TAVT. Individuals moving to GA have 30 calendar days after establishing their residency to register their vehicles. However, if your out-of-state registration is not current, you should come into the Office of the Hall County Tax Commissioner as soon as possible.

All registrations expire at midnight on the birthday of the owner. If you do not receive your renewal notice in the mail, please contact the Office of the Tax Commissioner and they will be happy to send you bill. Remember that it is your responsibility to renew your registration before your deadline.

Moving to Hall County from another county in Georgia?

Your address can be changed by visiting the Office of the Hall County Tax Commissioner and presenting the following:

  • A valid GA driver's license or GA ID card with the current Hall County address
Payment Options

We accept cash, checks drawn on local banks, Discover®, Mastercard® and Visa®. Credit card transactions have a 2.59% convenience fee added to the transaction amount.

Motor Vehicle/Tag Contact
Office Hours:
Mon - Fri, 8AM - 5PM

2875 Browns Bridge Rd.
Gainesville, GA 30504-5635

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1579
Gainesville, GA 30503

Driving Directions

Current Users: 30 

Regular Mailing Address:
Hall County Tax Commissioner
P.O. Box 1579
Gainesville, GA 30503

Overnight Delivery Address:
2875 Browns Bridge Rd.
Gainesville, GA 30504-5635

Driving Directions

  © 2014 Hall County Government
Privacy Policy | Website Comments & Questions | Report Broken Links

Maintained By Hall County Government
Management Information Systems
Hall County Board of Commissioners
P.O. Drawer 1435
Gainesville, GA 30503